The dams and reservoirs of the Elan Estate are situated within an area of outstanding scenic beauty. They provide a lasting amenity in their own right for visitors to enjoy. The protection of the water catchment area to prevent pollution of the reservoirs has safeguarded the habitats of numerous species of flora and fauna and now the 70 square miles of moorland, bog, woodland, river and reservoir are of national importance for their diversity of lower plants (ferns, mosses, lichens and liverworts) and the Estate is the most important area for land birds in Wales.
With 72 square miles of Elan Valley Estate, walking and mountain biking routes in this our part of the Cambrian Mountains are spectacular.
But the biggest draw to Elan Valley are the four dams on the river Elan; Craig Goch, Pen y Garreg, Garreg Ddu, and Caban Coch and the brace on the river Claerwen has the newest, and largest Claerwen dam followed by the unfinished Dol y Mynach dam.
The Elan Valley Dams were officially opened by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra on 21st July 1904, and the later built Claerwen Dam was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1952.